Sunday, March 2, 2008

Quick Dinner: Chickpea, Kale, and Cauliflower Soup


Why does it seem like kale is ALWAYS in season in southern California!?! My CSA box was overloaded with kale all through the fall and now we are stilling getting it since the weather has turned more spring-like. Any kale I don't consume after a week in the fridge, I steam really quickly and freeze for later use. I do hope that I can use it later when we find ourselves sans kale, otherwise one day I will open the freezer to find it filled with nothing but this dark leafy green. I have received green kale, purple kale, and dinosaur kale but there are many other varieties (see pictures on RecipeTips).

Desperate for a new kale recipe I tried the
Chickpea Hot Pot Recipe from 101 Cookbooks. I just happen to have all the ingredients in my fridge and entire soup came together in about 30 minutes. Note, I used an entire head of cauliflower and kale (see ingredient list below). The flavor is simple and the broth thick. It reheats beautifully and the entire pot was got in just 2 days.

Chickpea, Kale, and Cauliflower Soup
click on over to 101 Cookbooks to see the entire recipe.

1 large yellow onion, chopped (I used pearl onions)
a splash of olive oil
a couple pinches of salt
2/3 cup uncooked bulgur
1 14-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup orange juice
1 head of cauliflower, trimmed into small trees
1 head kale or chard, destemmed and cut into thin ribbons

olive oil for finishing drizzle
red onion, chopped for garnish

photo credit: curly kale by Rosina

No comments: