Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quick Dinner: Brussels Sprouts, Peas, and Soba Noodles

Last week, before leaving for Seattle, I was doing some pantry cooking trying to make it to Friday without going to the grocery store. I found a basket of fresh brussel sprouts in the fridge and went online looking for recipes. I'm a new convert to the eating of brussel sprouts. A friend brought over dinner this past year and she had roasted brussel sprouts. I have long shunned brussel sprouts, something about the smell while cooking. I tried the roasted, soft, carmelized brussels and immediately wanted to make some myself. My first brussel sprout recipe I found on 101 Cookbooks by Heidi Swanson, Golden-Crusted Brussels Sprouts Recipe. I followed her recipe exactly and only improvised at the end when I threw in some frozen peas, chopped garlic, and buckwheat soba noodles. I added shavings of parmasean and manchego before serving. This was a perfect one-pot-dinner and made for a great cold lunch the following day.

photo credit: roasted brussel sprouts by ddot

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a brussels sprouts convert after I made this recipe for Thanksgiving last year.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/ROASTED-BRUSSELS-SPROUTS-240260

You can leave out the cilantro :) I also don't bother to make the puffed rice part.