Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Quick Dinner: Sauted Sage, Squash, and Shitake Mushrooms

I knew one day soon I would start writing a post and think "maybe I have already posted this recipe." Well, it happened today. I posted Squash Pasta 01.21.08 and now I have a little update with pictures! Here is a recap of the ingredients, see link above for more detailed recipe: 12 ounces pappardelle or fettuccine pasta; 2/3 stick butter, divided; 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes butternut squash; 8 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps sliced; 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage; 1 5- to 6-ounce package baby spinach; 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided.

I want to highlight a substitution using an ingredient that came in our CSA box last week - tatsoi the leafy green pictured above. The leaves are similar to bok choy but a quick google search revealed that it was an Asian salad green that is often eaten raw. Since there were a few notes saying that it tasted like bok choy I decided to use it in place of the spinach (I often substitute spinach with kale). I also added a few fresh, organic items from my local farmers' market, like the sage and shiitake mushrooms.

I threw the entire saute over a pile of Harvest Grains Israeli Cousous (for something else with HGIC see the Fig, Chicken and Israeli Cousous recipe here). The fall colors really make this plate up beautifuly and it is easy.

photo credit: Cayenne 11.16.09

No comments: