Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Detox: Teriyaki Glaze

I made yellowtail fish with teriyaki glaze for dinner last night!

Detox Teriyaki Glaze
from GOOP Detox

The Glaze (double this recipe if cooking for 2):

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup agave syrup

1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


1 teaspoon barley miso

1 teaspoon mirin

1 tablespoon water


Combine the balsamic, agave, ginger and pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook for ten minutes. Cool and then add the miso, mirin and water. I think you can probably substitute dry white wine for the mirin and tamari sauce for the balsamic vinegar.
Fish:
Choose your favorite protein to pour this sauce over. Last night I chose fresh wild-caught yellowtail. Per the fishguy's instructions, TEB seared each side of the fish in olive oil and garlic for about 3 minutes. Then he popped it in the oven at 500 degrees for 5 minutes. Yum! Thanks for the tips and fish recommendation fishguy at El Pescador Fish Market.

I first used the glaze as a sauce over baked salmon and was smitten Later during the detox week, I actually used it as a marinade for chicken. Buy a good organic, chicken breast, rinse in cold water and pat dry. Cut into bit-size pieces using a fillet or fish knife at a 45 degree angle. This will increase the surface area of the cut and your marinade will penetrate better. I left it to marinate during the day and when I came home all I had to do was throw it in a pan to saute. I used extra glaze as a sauce.
photo credit: Cayenne 01.26.09 and 01.08.09

No comments: