Monday, September 7, 2009

Wake-up: Iced Coffee

It has been too hot for regular coffee so iced coffee has been my staple these last few weeks. This recipe comes straight from Smitten Kitchen and I've been making it this whole year since she first posted it.

Iced coffee is super easy to make: mix coffee grounds and cold water together before you go to bed (~ 1:3 proportions). Wake up in the morning and strain the coffee grounds out using a sieve (fine grade mess or cheese cloth). I mix mine with Soy Dream Vanilla Soymilk (3:4 coffee to soy) and call it a good (no, great) morning. The iced coffee keeps in the fridge for 2-3 days, after which I freeze the leftover in the ice cube tray and save for chilling my iced coffee or for when a recipe calls for a bit of coffee. Easy as pie. Just got to remember to make it the night before.

I find that you can use cheaper coffee than if you were making a pot using an
Italian Bialetti stove-top espresso maker. My favorite is Cafe du Monde (New Orleans, LA). This comes ground and in nice orange (chicory) or blue (french roast) tins which I'm saving. You can buy Cafe du Monde at Cost Plus World Market (along with their biegnet mix) or Ranch99 here in San Diego, CA.

No comments: