Saturday, September 22, 2007

Mexican Hot Carob

Welcome to CAYENNE & CAROB!

The inspiration for this blog comes from an unusual childhood experience with food. In our house the norm was goat’s milk, whole grains, and no sugar. Though it was not always so, I now appreciate my love of carrot juice and carob. I learned that substitution could create wonderful new ideas. The ability to envision multiple uses for an item is my mantra. This may take form through ideas about recycling, repurposing, and reusing.

I would like to share with you a recipe that I grew up with, hot carob. It will always remind me of my mother’s warm kitchen during the dark, cold winters in Alaska. I have given my mother’s recipe a kick, inspired by the title of this blog, CAYENNE & CAROB.


Mexican Hot Carob
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 C Water
2 tbsp powdered carob (a mixture of raw and roasted is good)

Bring above items to a boil. Add 2 C milk (made with soymilk or goat’s milk in my house) and continue to heat. Be careful not to scald. When hot enough, remove from heat and at 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cayenne, and a touch of grated orange peel.

Serve hot with a dollop of marshmallow crème, a good book and a blanket.

photo credit:
Matka_wariatka

1 comment:

Penny said...

Hi, Koo!

Happy Birthday! This is your last year for your 20's, WOW!! You had better celebrate BIG TIME!

We need to keep in closer touch, too. I enjoyed your blog. BTW, I love Damian Rice.....as well as the Beatles and a couple others you listed! I like your blog--and your sweet thoughts about home with your Mom, of course! :-)