Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving: Deviled Eggs


It has been about 7 years since I have been with my family in Alaska for Thanksgiving. Since moving to San Diego 4 years ago my friends here host a large potluck dinner with the requisite turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing. This is the way my own large family celebrates in Alaska and I love it. This year I am making non-dairy pumpkin pie, deviled eggs, and two berry vegan pie. If you check out The Amateur Gourmet’s recent post you will see that he, alone, is cooking a monster dinner for his family. I’m taking a break this year but those herb-gruyere buttermilk biscuits are something I might try if I feel inspired on Thanksgiving Day.

Deviled Eggs
1 dozen small eggs
1 jar (4 oz.) Inglehoffer sweet hot mustard

1 can sliced black olives

cayenne pepper

paprika

salt and pepper


1. Cover eggs with salted water in a pan.

2. Bring to a roaring boil, turn off heat, and set the timing for 20 minutes.
3. Rinse eggs with cold water until cool to the touch. Peel.
4. Cut eggs in half, remove the yoke, and place in a large bowl.

5. Mix spicy mustard with the yokes. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste.

6. Arrange the egg white cups on a plate and use a small spoon to fill each shell with yoke filling.

7. Place 1 black olive ring in the center of each egg.

8. Sprinkle the eggs with paprika and garnish with parsley.

photo credit: CNC 11.22.07

No comments: