Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Quick Dinner: Vegetarian Tacos and Guacamole


I am working on a huge project right now (think the culmination of 5 years of work). I must be focused and spend the majority of every day writing in coffee shops. I must also eat. In this Quick Dinner series of posts I am literally sharing with you what I've been eating this past month. The meals are low maintenance and easily reheat for a week. Earlier this week I made tacos and we are still eating tacos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Breakfast is a little weird but I'll post soon with a recipe for taco "meat" egg scramble.

Click here, here, and here to see the other Quick Dinner posts.

Vegetarian Tacos:

The base for my vegetarian tacos is vegetarian "ground meat." You can find it pretty much any ol' grocery store's freezer or refrigerated sections and you can buy it preseasoned for tacos. I normally buy plain grounds so that I can use it either for tacos or in a big pot of spaghetti. I always keep in the pantry some packages of taco seasoning.

Season your "meat" in a large sauce pan - just follow the instructions on your seasoning package. Transfer to a plate and heat a can of organic refried black beans (Amy's is my favorite brand) in the same pan. I added some Tabasco sauce when the beans are almost piping hot.

Fixings:
chopped green onion
extra sharp Tillamook chedder cheese
sliced black olives
chopped fresh tomatoes
lettuce
guacamole (see recipe below)

Pile the taco "meat" and fixings on a whole wheat tortilla and enjoy!
*If you don't want to eat the exact same thing everyday then have some chips on hand so you can make nachos later in the week.

Bad-Ass Guacamole:

From Aunt CF

4 Avocados
2 tbsp Mild (or Hot) Salsa (for those cilantro-haters out there my favorite is Trader Jose's Salsa Autentica from Trader Joe's)
3-4 roma tomatoes (deseeded)
1/4-1/2 of a red onion

Season to Taste -
Cumin (this part is tricky, you need approximately 3-5 tbsp)
Black or white pepper
Salt or garlic salt
Garlic powder (if you did not use garlic salt)
Juice from a couple of lemons or limes

Chop up 1/2 the avocados, all the tomatoes and onion
Mash the other 1/2 of the avocados
Add the salsa, seasonings, and lemon juice

servings ~ 4


photo credit: flickr.com member
anple

No comments: