Tuesday, May 20, 2008

70s Party: Sangria


My good friend mt flew in for my defense and the big after-party. I am forever grateful for the friendship we have had over the past couple of years and it meant a lot to me that she was able to be there for my defense. We met 3 years ago and since then my life has been filled with fabulously late nights, copious amounts of boba, excellent parties, and laughter. The laughter, now that is an important one because it is present during the best of times and also the worst. Thank you, MT! Now onto the sangria recipe from MT's friend in Utah (wish I could give more credit here. sorry.). Sangria was popular during the 70s and thus was our theme drink.
2 oranges
2 apples
2 limes
2 lemons
1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup triple sec
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brandy
2 bottles of cheap 2 buck chuck (Trader Joe's 2$ merlot)
Lemon-lime soda to taste
sugar to taste

Cut all the fruit into round slices. Marinate with the triple sec, brandy, sugar, and cinnamon stick for at least 1 hour (though as the night wore on no one seemed to notice that we eliminated the marinating step altogether). In a large pitcher add 2 bottles of wine, some fruit, and all the marinating juice. Pour in some lemon-lime soda and add sugar to taste. Add ice and serve.

I love the cold beverage jar made from recycled glass at Crate and Barrel. We used super large plastic pitchers and those worked just fine.

photo credit: I just met a girl named sangria by Jkonig; Scriptina font from DaFont.com

No comments: