Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Quick Dinner: Orange Glazed Seitan Stir-Fry
Glazed Seitan Stir-Fry
Vegetarian Times, 01.01.2007
**prep everything and have it right next to your wok before beginning.
3 Tbs. maple syrup
3 Tbs. orange juice (freshly squeezed)
1 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
1 Tbs. toasted sesame oil
1 12-oz. pkg. seitan, drained and shredded
The BIG Stir-Fry
3/4 cup cashews
1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. sesame oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch strips (about 1 cup)
1 cup frozen shelled edamame
1 Tbs. minced ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
6 Tbs. orange juice
1 Tbs. arrowroot powder
1. To make the glazed seitan: Combine syrup, juice and soy sauce in small bowl.
2. Toast cashews in the dry wok until fragrant.
3. Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add seitan, and stir-fry until golden (mine never turned much darker than the original). Add maple syrup mixture, and simmer 3 minutes, or until seitan is coated with glaze. Transfer to bowl. Wipe out skillet.
3. Heat 1 Tbs. sesame oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and edamame, and stir-fry 2 minutes.
4. Move vegetables to sides of skillet, and pour remaining 1 tsp. oil in center. Add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes, and stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in 2 Tbs. water, Glazed Seitan and cashews. Cover, and cook 2 minutes, or until pepper is tender.
5. Combine orange juice and arrowroot powder, mix well. Stir into vegetable mixture. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat, and serve over white or brown rice.