Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Backpacking: Sunscreen

While backpacking it makes a lot of sense to eliminate most of my morning routine - my pack is lighter and without showering there is no need for the lotions 'n potions. I keep things simple with a toothbrush and paste, unscented wet wipes, toner, and SUNSCREEN. When I am at home I use Keys Solar Rx, which has nanoparticles of zinc that physically block UVA/UVB. Since Solar Rx is not sweatproof, I use Neutrogen Sensitive Skin SPF 30 sunblock lotion and the small Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock Stick that can easily fit in my cargo pants pocket for reapplications. When you are out in the wilderness you want to minimize carrying anything that smells. I don't wear deoderant and I look for sunscreen for sensitive skin because it is often scent-free. See how effective your sunscreen is on the Environmental Working Group website. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock is one of the top 10 good buys.

No comments: