Sunday, April 19, 2009

Craft(y): Mitered Corners

You may have noticed this napkin that was pictured with my fresh bread post a few weeks ago. It is actually a linen remnant from Lotta Jansdotter's, buy here. Thanks to help from TAB and GKC (my mama), I was able to make my own cloth napkins. Here are the step-by-step instructions.

How to: miter corners for cloth napkins and curtains
1. Carefully fold down fabric edge 1/2 inch and press with a hot iron. Fold down another 1/2 inch and press. Now your press lines look like this:2. Cut off the corner, as illustrated above. 3. See the square made by the dashed lines on the previous picture: fold the corner down at the line that bisects the bottom corner of that square, press.4. Fold your edges once and press. 5. Fold edges again, press, and pin.
6. Run a seam all the way around the hem. Double-back when you hit your starting point. All done! The actual sewing does not take much time but the pressing and folding surely does. I find it helpful to have the metal sliding ruler seen in step 4.

Tonight at craft night, I am attempting this process with heavy weight fabric for a curtain to cover one of our closets. I'll let you know how it goes - fingers-crossed that I can manage without mama's help.

photo credit: Cayenne 11.22.08

No comments: