Monday, May 11, 2009

Being Green: Buying Handmade

When the new year started I declared 2009 the year of the budget. I think I am doing pretty good. I am keeping track of my expenses on MINT. I opened an IRA and am making bi-monthly deposits into my high-interest savings account.

I have also tried to cut down on material goods, meaning that I try to limit clothing shopping. I am even considering taking the buy handmade pledge. Even more compelling is for me to actually make the things I need. First, I need to invest in a sewing machine. For the moment I am using my mother's machine while I get the chance here in Fairbanks.

Another way you can help small businesses is to spent 50$ a month at a local business. They need your help too, become a supporter of the 3/50 project.

So next time you need something for your home or a new scarf, check Etsy, ArtFire, or the DIY options at craftzine before heading to the BIG BOX.

{Cayenne is blogging on location in Fairbanks, AK. See all posts about Alaska here.}

photo credit: Buy Handmade by bymanu

No comments: