Sunday, November 22, 2009

Sunday Supper: Ina Garten's Red Spaghetti Sauce

Cayenne & Carob's Sunday Supper: Ina Garten's Red Spaghetti Sauce from Barefoot Contessa Family Style Cookbook.

Pasta is a good ol' standby in my house. One can always find various kinds of pasta (Swiss Egg Noodles, organic whole grain penne etc) and a jar of pasta sauce hidden somewhere in the kitchen. Jarred pasta sauce is always a little bland so I saute up some onions and garlic, maybe throw in some kale or whatever left over veggies are in the fridge. I always thought homemade red sauce was this extra step that I could not possibly have time to do. It was only recently that TEB and I found crushed tomatoes in the pantry and were forced to make the stuff from scratch. It turned out delicious, I might never go back to the jarred stuff. Well maybe only as a second backup.

Barefoot Contessa's Red Spaghetti Sauce
by Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa Family Style

1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (double if you love garlic, like i do)
1/2 cup good red wine (used whatever old stuff was in the fridge)
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in your favorite pan (for some flavor I use my cast iron pan). Saute the onions until they are translucent, then add the garlic. Cook until very fragrant ~ 1-2 minutes.

Add the wine and cook on high heat until almost all the liquid evaporates (4-5 minutes). Add the canned tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.

Serves 6, with 1 1/2 pounds cooked pasta and lots of shaved Parmesan. I pile on the black olives and leave them off for TEB who is a member of the "I hate black olives club." This is another recipe to keep on file for when you are cooking for a crowd.


photo credit: Cayenne 09.23.09

1 comment:

gotomakan said...

Sounds easy enough and delicious.