We are on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of WA on this beautiful Thankgiving day. Tomorrow we will be giving thanks with family and friends. It is never too late to have a Thanksgiving dinner.
Save those turkey carcasses because this week's Sunday Supper will make good use of them. In fact, turn it into turkey stock by doing the following:
1. Place turkey carcass in a large pot and fill with water until turkey is covered
2. Fridge clean-out = add whatever veggies (roughly chopped) you find in the fridge, e.g. carrots, celery, onion (save the potatoes, yams, and squash for later)
3. Spices - a bay leaf or two depending on how big your turkey was, 5-10 peppercorns, garlic, and any left over fresh herbs you have.
4. Bring to a boil, turn heat down, and simmer covered for 2-4 hours. Add extra water if it is gets too low.
5. Strain entire pot so all you have left is a nice broth. Will keep for a few days or you can put in glass jars and freeze (leave a few cm of room at the top for the liquid to expand once frozen)
See you Sunday for Supper!