Monday, September 8, 2008

Backpacking: Lunch

Lunch out on the trail is almost as easy as breakfast. I bring cliff bars (kids cliffs are my favorite), which are good both for the trail and for a fast, no-cook, breakfast. If I am only going out for 3-4 days then I do pamper myself and bring fresh veggies, e.g. carrots, cucumbers, or celery keep well.

Sidenote: You might have noticed that in the left sidebar there is a new "Reading" section. Powered through Good Reads, you can see what I am reading, what I have read, and what I want to read. Though lately all I have had time for is a star rating, I hope to get some reviews up there.

It was by reading The Great American Camping Cooking by Scott Cookman that I learned there are a lot fresh foods that keep well for a week without refridgeration. One of these is hard cheeses (any cheese low on water content), e.g. parmasean or parmaseano reggiano. So I often bring smorbrod or hard rye crackers, fresh veggies, and cheese for lunch. I also premake almond butter and jelly sandwiches that keep for 3+ days. I want high protein stuff so I use a local bread from the Julian Bakery called Smart Carb No. 1, which packs a heavy punch of 12 grams of protein. If that is sold out then I bring bagels or the dense nut-filled rye breads. Read labels and makes sure that you are getting at least 6 grams of protein per slice.

photo credit: NC and TEB; top camping next to the lake, view of the lakes from the ridge on the way to Mt. Sillman.

No comments: