Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday Supper: Jamie Oliver's Cheeky Chili Pepper Chutney

Yup, you guessed it, I finally found something that requires copious amounts of red chili peppers (remember those serranos I've been bragging about). On the Cayenne & Carob Sunday Supper menu today is Jamie Oliver's Cheeky Chili Pepper Chutney!

yum, I topped fresh fish tacos with the chili chutney!

Cheeky Chili Pepper Chutney (halved "test" recipe)
Adapted by Joanna of Joanna's Food from Jamie Oliver at Home


4-6 hot red chillis
4 red, orange, or yellow bell peppers
EVOO
1 chopped white onion
sprig of chopped rosemary leaves
1 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
salt and pepper (optional because I forgot to add)
1/2 cup brown sugar (while converting from the metric system I forgot to halve)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Slowly cook the onion in a bit of oil with the herbs. This takes quite a while and you are looking for some translucent, soft yet golden onions in the end.

Meanwhile, I got out my mini cuisinart chopper and whizzed the bell peppers. Then I donned some rubber gloves and deseeded 'n decored the hot serrano chili peppers.

By this time the onions should be ready and you can add the chillis, peppers, sugar, and vinegar. Once again cook this slowly until there is very little liquid and the texture is goopy, takes about an hour. This halved recipe only makes about 18, or so, ounces of chutney. If you are going to can this chutney get started on sterilizing the jars while you are waiting for the chutney to cook down. Boil a big (HUGE) pot of water. Put your jars and lids into the boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Turn off heat. I left the jars in the water until the chutney was ready.

When you have deemed the chutney done, turn off heat and remove the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, and rosemary twigs. Remove the jars, one at a time (this is where I learned the importance of canning tongs) and carefully spoon the chutney into the hot jars. Leave about 1/4 of an inch room on the top and tighten the lid. Bring the water you used to sterilize the jars to a second roaring boil. Place the chutney jars into the boiling water and let boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove the jars again and let them rest on the counter. At some point, when the lid has sealed, you should hear a PoP! Either my jars did not pop or I did not hear it because I was sleeping. So I am keeping my jars in the fridge instead of on the pantry shelves.

TEB declared the chutney a success and ate it atop fish tacos for two days. In my opinion I was too conservative with the chili:bell pepper ratio - the chutney needed to be spicier. No worries, I am going to try again in an attempt to use all 18 red chillis on my pepper plant.

photo credit: Cayenne 09.06.09

2 comments:

gotomakan said...

I need to make a weekend trip to SD so I can taste one of your Sunday suppers! :-)

Cayenne said...

G, I'll send you some chutney! We made a huge batch this weekend. email me your snail mail address.